#exvangelical and all that
Episode #40 welcomes Blake Chastain who coined the #exvangelical hashtag alongside the launch of the Exvangelical podcast in July 2016. Exvangelical conversations and communities have proliferated online across social networks like Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, and Reddit.
Blake Chastain is host of the Exvangelical and Powers & Principalities podcasts, and writer of The Post-Evangelical Post newsletter. He is also writing a book with Convergent, an imprint of Penguin Random House.
“Exvangelical” functions as both a way to find others who have left white evangelical beliefs and communities behind, as well as a helpful frame for criticizing white evangelical institutions and practices. It is not a wholesale replacement of evangelicalism, but a shared starting point–it acknowledges that we are rooted in similar experiences, and celebrates the new and diverse ways people find to flourish.
- Rohadi’s Intro
- Welcome Blake and a brief history of #exvangelical (4:00 mins)
- Story out of white evangelicalism. (13 mins)
- Processing I.D. and leaving toxic church traditions (33 mins)
- Giving new life to new ideas (37 mins)
- Deconstruct where does Jesus fit? (43 mins)
- Community in a deconstructed age (52 mins)
Intro and Outro are tracks from Drew Brown’s album, “Hymns for the Architect.” http://www.drewbrownmusic.com/.